A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Really less dismal

Just before I got out of bed, or to be more accurate, just before I thought of getting out of bed, the mobile rang.

It was an agency who had said they'd call on Tuesday, but didn't. No worries. They were calling now.

It was about a permanent project management job in Munich. We had a very good chat.

Now the agent clearly liked my c.v., otherwise she wouldn't have rang me, right. And who can blame her. But she felt that because the client was German I should change the structure somewhat. And put in much more emphasis on my project management experience.

Changing my c.v. is no quick and easy task. And I had cats to feed. So I said I'd send it to her later in the day.

Just before lunch (mine, not the cats', they had been fed by then) I took a deep breath and got stuck in. Three hours and a salmon fishcake later (mine, not the cats' remember) I had finished. When I called the agent she said it looked much better.

In fact I now realise just how much project management I've done in my career. I always known I did quite a bit (my memory isn't that bad) but bringing it all out on a dedicated c.v. showed, even to me, just how much I've done.

I then tried to settle into my daily job hunt. But I was then distracted by news reports about more bombing incidents on London's infrastructure. Fortunately it seems there were no fatalaties and possibly no injuries either.

Just before 5pm my mobile rang again. It was an agency with whom I had spoken a few days ago. Their client wanted to see me tomorrow. In the City. That is, in the City of London.

I asked them if they had heard the news. They had and said we'd all have to play it by ear.

A couple of hours later they sent an email confirming the details. By then I'd polished my shoes so am ready to go.

Another week, another interview.

Today I applied for five jobs.

No comments: