A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Round up of last week

Due to, well whatever, I didn't keep this blog updated last week.

So here goes:


Interview

That was on Friday 13th but went rather well. The feedback from the agent (who was listening in to the call) was that it was good. Although the client is obliged to interview others there will be no surprise if I'm called for a face-to-face interview.

Interestingly the recruiting manager wasn't that happy with telephone interviews. Of course I too prefer face-to-face but I have taken part in quite a few calls (as interviewer and interviewee) so am quite relaxed.

The actual chat only lasted half-an-hour but that seems to be all that was needed.

Forms

Another agency was interested in my application for a freelance job.

I found that out by phoning them. They were indeed relieved to hear from me as that day was the deadline, from their client, for them to submit candidates. So I'm not sure why they didn't phone me earlier.

Later that day they sent me a form in German. I was going out so the next day I phoned them. The form, as I suspected, was a contract. They explained that the contract would only come into force if I was taken on in the role. Wasn't too happy with that but they said they'd send the contract in English.

This they did, well, I recognised some of the words but not really the language.

I tried to work out how to sign it as I don't have a printer.

I wanted to convert the PDF file into Word and then add a digitial signiature I have.

This took quite a while to find suitable, effective and free software. Eventually I gave up and emailed them a statement saying I accepted their contract.

Today they emailed me saying the job had gone to someone inside their company.

No comments: