A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Germans and Austrian

Germans (and Austrians) will be pleased to hear that my German is better than I thought.

Don’t worry though, this isn’t going to become “Das ultimat Arbeitsuchen blog” or something.

I even registered in German.

For people in free countries I should explain. Germany, like most European countries, loves forms. Well, forms in German.

They like their people to fill them in wherever possible. They also rather like foreigners, who aren’t tourists, to do the same.

So, on Friday I went to the place where this is done.

I’ve heard some horror stories about this place. People having to stay for hours, or keep having to return.

It took me only two hours. Apparently that’s a world record for registering in Germany.

I think what helps is being smartly dressed, being English (when it comes to being a bumbling Englishman, Hugh Grant is my understudy) and trying to speak German.

I tend to apologize for my poor German, in perfect colloquial German just to confuse them, and after that I tend to be treated quite nicely

So I registered, in German!

I would have appreciated the option of doing it English but the people at the place where they register foreigners don’t speak much English.



No comments: