A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Day off

Yesterday was a day-off.

A day-off from job hunting anyway.

I had to do something in the morning in London. Then I met up with friends in the afternoon, had a meal then managed to get a 21:15 train and got back home two hours later.

Whilst I was travelling to London the agency handling the possible job in Munich called. They want to see me!

Great news. They were also willing to subsidise my travel costs to €250 which is very decent of them.

Normally my Palm Pilot can browse the internet using my mobile phone (connected over Bluetooth). But in recent weeks it's stopped working for some reason. The rest of the Palm works fine so I haven't been bothered.

So, after dealing with my morning task I ducked into an internet cafe. The first one was very poor, only allowing one browser session. But I need two!

So, I raced over to an easyInternet cafe (or whatever it's called). I then tried the www.logmein.com service. This way I can remotely takeover my laptop at home.

However, co-incidentally, my mail redirection service seemed to have started running very slowly. I normally get the LogMeIn one-time passcodes emailed to me within seconds. Yesterday, however, they weren't getting to me so I couldn't use the service.

I looked at various airline websites and phoned back the agency to tell them that just about anytime next week would be fine. After another phone call we agreed an afternoon time on Wednesday next week.

In fact, getting a flight next week wouldn't be a cheap process - it's the peak of the season and I don't live near enough to airports to take advantage of low-cost airlines.

No comments: