A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Back to Planet Boring

I returned from Helsinki on Thursday.

Once I landed at Heathrow I had to travel on the underground to a mainline train station and then get home from there.

Travelling on the London underground on Thursdays is currently not a pleasant thought. The terrorists attacked it twice on Thursdays. Probably something to do with Friday being the Muslim's holy day.

Whilst I was in Helsinki a Finnish friend, staying in one of the islands, emailed me to say how terrible all the bombings were and how appalling it was that there was still a threat. What? I checked The Times on the internet and read that there's a third terrorist team still operating in the UK.

Still, I wasn't too alarmed on my journey on the tube. The carriages weren't full like normal and the only people probably using them were undercover police officers, undercover army special forces, and a slightly Asian looking bloke carrying a large bag. And that was ok because that was me.

Actually it was slightly ironic going to Helsinki anyway. Ironic, that is, if you were trying to get away from all the suicide bombing stuff in England. A few years ago someone near Helsinki blew himself up in a shopping mall, taking five or six with him. And just outside the house where I was staying last week they were blasting rock with explosives.

My trip to Helsinki was pretty much incident free. In fact I didn't even get to Tallinn. This was because the business planning really started to kick off. It was actually quite hard work, but it was good because it was different and in all a nice break.

It's now been a few days since I returned from Helsinki and for once I can't report any incidents (see here and here for earlier incidents). Except for a cold and that would hardly feature in the International Journal of Pathologies and other Incidents Associated with Visits to Finland.

No comments: