A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Another bite

I'm writing this on Sunday as I couldn't be bothered (read "arsed") to update this blog yesterday or Friday.

Hey, it's a long bank holiday weekend and even the jobless need to take a break.

Anyway, on Friday I applied for three jobs.

In the afternoon I made my usual phone calls to the agents. Well, two of them, the third was a job which didn't really appeal. I applied because my background ticked all the boxes. It's the wrong attitude, I know, but I didn't really want to pursue it. So I decided to go with the flow. If they phone me then I'll take it from there.

Where were we? Oh, yes. The first agency I phoned liked the sound of me but said that the job had gone on hold.

The second agency I phoned also like the sound of me (I do have that sort of voice actually, "you may not recognise my accent, it's called 'Educated'").

They told me the details of the job and said they'd put my name forward.

Great, that's another bite. Two bites in one week.

The problem?

It was the same job as the one being advertised by the first agency! I know it was the same job as the agencies simply retyped their client's brief into their adverts.

Probably one agency had heard that the job had gone on hold and the other hadn't. Or one agency was lying - does happen you know.

No comments: