A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Back to normal

Well, a bit.

Having tasted the delights of Munich (well, I drank some bier) I really don't want to apply for hum-drum jobs in hum-drum parts of England (that is, most of it).

Nevertheless, I'm already in an ueber-hum-drum part of England and aren't even doing a hum-drum job.

Yesterday the agency for the Munich job phoned again just to have a better chat (when I called her on Friday she was on a mobile and it wasn't too clear).

We chatted about the company, she said she almost told the company to "bugger off" when she heard the result (this was in fluent English with a Dutch, I think, accent).

I'm really glad she called. So many other agencies don't call once they can't get a commission out of you. When I'm in a job, and therefore recruiting, I'll be sure to use her agency when I'm looking for staff - if at all possible.

She's going to look out for other jobs in Europe for me and I'll call her in a couple of weeks.

It is, however, possibly just as well I didn't get the job as I'd probably have to buy a wet suit - a lot of Bavaria is underwater at the moment.

I did also talk to an English woman from another agency who was advertising for PMs in Munich and Austria (also a bit soggy I understand). The job in Munich was for the same company but she'll consider me for other jobs in that city. Plus, she's putting my details forward for her client in Austria.

This just goes to show that you should always phone.

Today was even better in that I applied for five jobs - my weekly total. In fact I've already applied for a total of 10 jobs this week and I'm only half-way through it.

No comments: