A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Busy is good

The mantra of people who know what it's like to be not busy - but not from their choosing.

Monday was a UK bank holiday (I was taught that it should be "an" before a vowel but then again, I was also taught that electrons orbit the nucleus - not totally true).

It was a good Monday in some respects. I'd been contacted, on spec, by a few agencies in the last week. All automated emails, I'm sure. Nevertheless I sent them back my c.v. In a semi-automated style.

I also applied for a job in Duesseldorf. A job for which I originally applied two years ago.

My c.v. is a bit similar to the one submitted before but I've ironed out the recently discovered errors. (No-one spots them but me, I'm sure, and I spot them later than I'd like.)

That's right, I found another error at the weekend. One which had slipped through despite many proof readings by myself and others.

From now on, I read out my c.v.s aloud. It's the only way to spot the errors.

I also corrected a friend's c.v. But it was very good to start with.

In less than a month's time I will be out of a job (my interim assignment finishes at the end of May). My rental of the flat in London ends mid-June.

So, now is the time.

It's depressing to go back to hunting. I can't do it day-in, day-out. Most of the day is interrupted by work. I also need to get out: I spent two years partially disfigured and a little bit isolated after an accident falling on top of redundancy. Now that has cleared I feel I need to get out a bit.

I also need to develop the business (see other blog for details - but to save you the trouble, don't look now as it's not been updated). At the weekend I did a cracking update to the financial model which would make accountants swoon with jealousy. The gits.

The other problem emerged whilst looking at Monster today. I don't have time to look at Jobserve as well. The UK IT rates seem low and I don't feel like applying for them, considering my current salary is much higher than what's being offered. Like, I'm going to earn in seven months what some jobs were offering in a year.

I also noticed that Germany is picking up with more job offers. These were mainly advertised in German. Well I can read German to a high level, and can order beer (by the litre) in Bavarian. Somehow, I don't think that's enough.

No comments: