A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Two or three

No, not pints (or litres, which is the proper quantity by which you should be given beer).

Pages on your c.v.

I was speaking to one of the speakers (ooh, bad sentence) after the contracting event.

He was a bit shocked that I only had a two page c.v.

I was a bit shocked that he was a bit shocked. I've spent ages reducing my c.v. to the succinct sales document that it is.

However recruiters, especially those in the technical and contacting end of the market go by quantity, not succinctness.

And nowadays they search by keywords (e.g. XP, SQL, Oracle, TCP/IP etc). Just put as many keywords on your c.v. as possible.

Now, if you ever find yourself sending your c.v. to me, do not do this. Well, you can do this if I'm recruiting for a specific role but keep it to two pages.

The speaker also said that he could tell who had been to outplacement consultants (as I have, twice) as they always send two page c.v.s.

I guess for some jobs I'll have to extend my c.v. But for permie and higher level jobs I don't think this is necessary.

No comments: