A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

What am I going to do?

Can't really be optimistic all the time.

My contract is coming to an end. Well, it's probably better that it ends now rather than in March.

This way maybe I won't miss out on German companies' recruiting surge as a lot of them will be getting new budgets in the new year.

But then there's that bitch called Reality.

Reality tells me, actually reminds me, that it's difficult, rather difficult (and that's "rather" spelt with a capital F) to get another job. At least in my case, for some reason.

Now multiply that with the fact that I'm not fluent in German.

Well I like a challenge.

So, what am I going to do?

Assuming I don't get a job immediately then I'm going to keep on applying (obviously).

I'm also going to take one-to-one lessons in German, starting in the New Year. I reckon that this could really help. I already understand a lot of German and can get by, even sometimes at work.

At the same time I'm going to study and requalify for my PRINCE 2 certification. That's really important. I already have the handbook and exam samples for it ... currently keeping dust off a shelf.

Then I might just take the PMP exam in project management. I feel that's a bit overkill as I'm already an APMP but some recruiters are a bit picky.

At the same time, I might add more to my Rumours of Life site.

But I won't just be sitting on my arse all day. It really is time I went back to the gym.

Then there's Vista which will come out soon. I already have a new laptop waiting for it (I'm writing this on it) and it will be good to learn the new system (I guess).

What else? Oh yes, update this blog.

With all this activity planned for the new year it might be better that I don't get a job.

No comments: