A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

More gadgets

Yesterday, on the train from London, I was using my C -Pen to help me read the SZ I had picked up on the airplane.

(You don't know? It's like a fat pen with an LCD. But it's a scanner. Scan in a German word and the LCD will show the English equivalent from its onboard dictionary.)

Two people sitting near me took a great interest.

The conversation moved on to other gadgets: my TabletPC, my Palm, voice recognition software and Digimemo.

l had ordered the new, A4-sized, Digimemo whilst I was in Germany but had it delivered to the Uk.

Today I set it up. Works fine.

Ok, so why did I buy a TabletPC and a Digimemo?

Well, several reasons:


  • TPCs are convenient when I'm lounging around and can't be bothered (read arsed to use a keyboard. I'm handwriting this entry on the TPC).
  • Sometime it's much better to use a PC in slate mode, eg. when sitting in an airport.
  • Digimemos, on the otherhand, are pretty discrete. Very few people even realise that it's more than a normal notepad.
  • For most notes I will probably never look at them again. I certainly don't need handwriting recognition software to transcribe them into computer text. But the act of writing down the information is the important thing; it impinges the information in the mind. So all l need is a backup just in case I ever do need to refer to them again.
  • TPCs may just become the next big thing so having experience in this area is not a bad idea (for me).

Michael Hyatt's excellent Working Smart blog also has a good criticism of TPCs.

Unfortunately I guess he wasn't working smartly enough as he feels he can no longer continue updating that blog.
.

No comments: