A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Business cards

This is going to be scary

I can't find my book of business cards.

I know I took it out my travel bags some months ago but now I can't find it.

This is a very minor disaster. Fortunately I also keep all my contact addresses on my Palm Pilot (a T3 so girls will talk to me). But I still like to look at business cards. They a better reminder of people.

Business cards hint 1
In fact I'm so anal about this that when I receive a card from someone I write on the back of the cards where and when I've met the person and any particular context.

Business cards hint 2
Maintaining this level of anal-ity (is that a real word?) I've also got my own cards made up. It's better than trying to beam your details to their PDA and some people don't even own a PDA, it's true.

Business cards hint 3
But even when we exchange business cards I still send an email the next day or so - a sort of nice to meet you etc.

Business cards hint 4
Actually this is more about web sites. I have a free web site where I keep my professional details. The address of this site is on my business cards.

With this approach it must be surprising that I'm ever out of work.

Business cards hint 5
When you've lost your business cards Rolodex look for a little bit then stop looking. This is the only way you'll find them.

I'll see if hint 5 works in a day or so.

No comments: