A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, July 08, 2004

2nd day summary

No. of jobs applied for: 0
No. of positive responses: 1


This occurred because I sent my c.v. to an agency yesterday. They had emailed me a few weeks ago advising me of their new contact details.

I phoned them up today but they said they were busy at that moment. A minute or so later they called back. They had an interesting role for me in Germany. This would start as a contract assignment but may change to permanent status in the second year.

Great. I've worked in Germany before and know a bit of the language. Now, I saw their desired candidate profile and it doesn't exactly match mine. But the agency said it'd be worth me sending a tailored version of my c.v. I'll do that tomorrow.

Today I also spoke with an old agency I've used before. In fact I used them in my second to last role when I was trying to recruit staff. And then I contacted them after my redundancy and we kept in contact. They weren't able to find me a job (bit of an IT recession, as you know) but they are one of the leading UK and European agencies.

They said they felt that things were consistently getting better in the IT job market - exactly what I wanted to hear. I sent my c.v. to them and the agency who got me the last role.

Their optimism is reconfirmed by JobStats which shows that there's been a consistent recovery in the IT market since July last year.

That's good but I'm still miffed that the holiday season will reduce the number of recruiters just when I'm available for work again.

No comments: