A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, July 30, 2004

Another day not at work

Except it's a Friday so it's another half-day not at work.

As I've mentioned before I only job hunt for the first half of this day (and maybe a little bit in the afternoon). There's not too much point contacting recruiters on Friday afternoon. They'll have forgotten the contact by Monday morning.

Today I applied for one job.

Palavar
What a palavar. The agency had advertised on www.monster.co.uk but hadn't put their own email address. This meant I had to apply on line.

And this meant setting up a Monster account, filling in lots of details and manually amending the c.v. they had uploaded onto their system.  Quite some time.

It would have been much quicker, and better, to have emailed the agency. Worst, looking at the job advert I didn't really meet one of their key criteria, so I only wanted to apply in a half hearted way anyway.

After applying for this job I went back to my old favourite www.jobserve.co.uk and stumbled across the same advert - this time with an email address.

I think the Friday feeling was spreading as they seemed to have some database indexing problems. This meant I had to retry quite a few times before new pages of jobs would be revealed.

Weekend
My weekend starts now and ends on Sunday afternoon.

What shall I do with it?

I know, I'll:
  • find out what my professional title is these days, it's changed recently
  • re-assemble my workdesk so I can job hunt in comfort
  • do some work on the business development front and update my other blog
  • carry-on learning Finnish and studying for the MCP in XP
  • watch TV and read randomn pages from the web.

Guess which of the above activities will be the most engaged?

No comments: