A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, May 14, 2007

A summary of the problems facing Germany today

Today I tried to buy some new shirts to go with my new job, starting next week.
Pretty easy: go to downtown Munich, go to one of the large department stores, go to the mensware department, find the shirt section ...

That's where the trouble set in.

First of all it wasn't clear if I was looking at shirts or pyjamas.

Secondly, Germans clearly do not appreciate removeable collar stiffners.

Thirdly, practically all the shirts had logos on them. Discrete but still logos.

Fourthly, a lot of the shirts were short-sleeved ones. In a modern, advanced, democratic society there really is no excuse for that.

Fifthly, the shirts which did not have logos but had long sleeves then didn't have breast pockets. Just about acceptable except for ...

Sixthly, the colours and patterns could only have been designed by ... well, by Germans.

Tomorrow I'm having another German lesson and although we don't do phrases I may ask my teacher the best way of formulating, auf Deutsch, "Please could I buy a shirt that doesn't make me vomit".

No comments: