A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Airports

I like airports. Well, nice ones like Flughafen Munich not horrible ones like Heathrow to which I was flying yesterday.

I'm in the UK for a few days. No need to get excited.

Whilst I was waiting for my flight at Munich airport my UK mobile rang. It was an agency asking if I was interested in a contract job in central London.

From the description he gave my background ticked all the boxes. More importantly, the rate he mentioned ticked my requirement big-time. It would mean I could easily afford to commute back to Munich at the weekends.

I was interested.

He sent over a job description. But I noticed a couple of blocking points, ie they required experiences I've spent a career-time avoiding. But written job descriptions often deviate from what's really desired. In fact the job description for my current role in no way matches what I've been doing.

So, I sent a reply, emphasizing my interest but pointing out where I lacked the skills they were requiring.

Then - and this is the important bit - I phoned him. A quick chat confirmed that those lacking skills were not that important after all.

Hurray, a bite.

Airports are different. At Munich I could hear the phone call. Even better I happily took out my TabletPC and used it in the departure lounge. If I did that in Heathrow the coroner would give a verdict of suicide.

No comments: