A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Uh oh, German bureaucracy

This morning I went to Munich's Arbeitsamt, employment office.

This is something you have to do if you live in Germany and are losing your job.

I've heard a lot of bad things about this place. One friend had to ask the official at her meeting if their comments were appropriate and if she would have to return with a lawyer.

I have also read frightening things on Toytown about this office.

So ... Well, they couldn't have been nicer.

In the first meeting the official was surprised to be told by me that my German wasn't very good. Perhaps it was because I told her this in German. Or perhaps it was because we had been talking for about an hour without any English being exchanged.

By the second meeting I was a bit tired and the official took mercy on me and spoke in English.

I then tried to get to work but the underground train drivers here in Munich have gone on strike.

On strike!

It's 2010, masses of people are losing their jobs, they are already paid well and have great job security. And they are on strike.

Anyway I fired up the VPN and am working from home.

No comments: