A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Q&A

A question was sent to a couple of us where I work from an old colleague and friend:

The question

"I have the opportunity to do some ... training courses and I'm mulling over which ones to do, I have a reasonably free hand in what I pick but I want it to be of maximum use when I come to look for a new job. Since you guys have more recent and relevant experience of looking and recruiting I was hoping you could provide some pointers as to the most relevant stuff to do, SQL, XP, Exchange,Server 2003 etc"

My answer

"Don’t forget ITIL (say foundation certificate) and if you’ve done projects in a formal way, PRINCE 2 (practitioner, foundation certificate is for girls). I’d say definitely do ITIL if at all possible. I did mine by reading the books and attending an open day exam.

Also do some network foundation course. I did CCNA. Along with ITIL those two created some interest when I was in the job market. ..." there's then some stuff about curry.

In a subsequent email I mention that security is an up-and-coming issue and that he should already know all this if he read this blog. For goodness sake.


No comments: