A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Saturday, January 29, 2005

A little change

During the week I volunteered to assist the North London branch of the British Computer Society.

Although I don't believe it will make a significant change to my job hunting and networking I don't feel it would harm my future.

The North London branch tends to focus on the business issues in IT and has very good speakers at its seminars. There are some groups which are a bit too propellor-headed for me.

When I was out of a job I used to go to seminars with the primary intention of networking. At first I found it difficult to do this. But I then found that the seminars in themselves were quite interesting. So I went along just for the content. Then, I found I was meeting more people and networking better.

I'm very pleased that it has given me a professional status along with the letters after my name (MBCS, CITP as well as the CEng which was partly attained - I guess - from my degree in electronics). My belief is that if you're in a profession, or indeed trade, then you should take an interest in it and join the appropriate body.

Mind you, I've never seen a c.v. (and I've seen loads) which has mentioned membership of the BCS.

No comments: