A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Toast

If you really need to you can actually swallow toast quite quickly indeed.

This happened today whilst I was having breakfast - my mobile phone rang. Speed swallowing the toast - aided by it being coated with strawberry jam - I answered the phone.

It was a recruitment agency asking me if I'd be interested in a release management job up North. Indeed I would be. He said he'd get back to me.

I hadn't applied for the job but the agency must have had my details. I've applied for so many jobs that I think most agencies have a copy of my c.v.

Depending on your point of view it was either poor manners or too much keeness for someone to call at breakfast-time. Actually, though, I have my breakfast at a decent time, which is much later than most people do. It's one of the few benefits of not having a job.

When I started my trawl today I saw that the job had been advertised late yesterday afternoon.

Including this job - which counts as a bite - today I applied for seven jobs. That means my total so far for this week is 10 applications.

Of these seven, two were for the same job advertised by different agencies. I still count each one though.

One of the recruiters had specifically written on the job description that people interested should call her. So, I sent my c.v. then called her.

I then got a very typical response: "Oh, I'll get back to you once I've screened through the c.v.s". Why do recruiters ask people to call them then say they'd rather not talk to anyone?

By the way, I'm quite suitable for this job, having had trans-national and IT relocation experience. Just what they're looking for.

No comments: