A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, September 13, 2004

After the storm ...

On Friday I didn't apply for any jobs. Didn't even look. I had to go up to London again, this time for an eye appointment. (Since you ask, it's fine thank you, my improvement means an operation is now out of the question and a doctor said I've made a remarkable recovery considering my accident).
Let's recap. Last week I applied for 12 applications. I had three bites. I also attended one interview, my first since completing the last assignment.
So today I looked at all jobs posted since Thursday afternoon through to 10:30 today. That must be over 2000 jobs. And guess how many I applied to?
Go on guess.
Hint: remember, I've had a few good weeks since coming back from Helsinki.
That's right. One whole job. And that was posted on Friday. It's a pan-European role based in Amsterdam. I'd love to do it as would loads of others. I call them tomorrow.
I did see another job I'd love to do. It was right up my street (it involved coaching and team leadership). And the advert had a lot of detail so the client had obviously put a lot of consideration into the job.
They even mentioned that you had to have your own car as the office wasn't close to public transport.
Damn.
I can drive and I have my own car. I also have a full driving licence. But for a few months two years ago I couldn't drive. After my accident the authorities had to review whether I was fit enough to drive. They decided I was. Nevertheless I'm wary of taking any jobs for which driving is a requirement. Although I'm very unlikely to lose my licence, if I did it'd mean I'd lose my job. Also, I no longer enjoy driving. I have to wear an eye patch when I drive (so I don't get double vision) and the reduction in visual capacity isn't nice at all. I'll take jobs where some travel is required but those requiring day-to-day driving are out. This limitation is annoying but necessary.
I saw a couple of jobs readvertised. I applied to them just over a week ago. I called the agencies handling the jobs. It must be the season of indifference in the recruiting world.
One agency was surprised I hadn't received their email application form. They said they'd send it again but so far haven't. The other agency had been handling other work and hadn't got around to looking at my c.v. This was actually quite a good opportunity for me to tell them how well my background suited their role. They said they'd get back to me.

No comments: