A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

More of the same

Like yesterday it's been a bit quiet.

At least this morning the phone rang, and not before I had got out of bed.

Even better it was an agency calling me on spec, I hadn't applied to them.

I fitted their client's profile and they liked the look of the c.v. I then sent them. They did, however, phone back a bit later. They wanted to make a couple of amendments to my c.v.

Basically they wanted to change my job titles, in some places, to "project manager". I wasn't happy with that: those weren't my job titles even though I was heavily involved in project management.

So I suggested changing some of the bullet points in my c.v.. He could change the ones starting with "Project managed .... " to "Project manager of ..." which was true - when I take on projects I appoint myself as project manager and make this clear in the terms of references which I always submit.

Now, I would have preferred to make the changes myself but he was keen to get the c.v. over to the client so he made the changes. I'm not too happy about losing control of my c.v. but have a feeling he'll only make the changes I've suggested.

I don't send my c.v. as a PDF because agencies, bless them, get all upset and think they won't be able to read them.

No comments: