A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Different

Rather than job hunt this morning I went to the dentist.

All seems ok but I bought an electric toothbush.

I also got a phone call - whilst I was in the bathroom, tut, tut - a message was left. It was the agency trying to get me a contract in Helsinki (and therefore my favourite, best ever agency ever, at the moment).

The news was simply that they were keeping my application on hold for a couple of weeks. Now, this would not normally be classed as good news. But actually, in this case, I think it does count as good news. What's more only myself and another person were being considered at all for this rôle by the client - that's out of eight candidates put forward.

Even better it gives me a chance to read up about technical architecture. There was some mention of this in the job spec. I don't think it's a crucial requirement but a knowledge of it will be helpful.

The BCS recently launched an ISEB qualification in IT Architecture. I'm not sure I'll take the exam but I may get a book or two from their reading list. And to start with, I'll probably look through some websites they mentioned.

No comments: