A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Except that ...

I get told the offer.

It is significanlty less than the minimum I expected (and stated).

Although with a bonus it would take it above the minimum.

Not happy.

I always ignore bonuses. They are just nice to haves.

I talk to a couple of friends with business experience in Germany.

Both of them point out that German companies like to "assume" that the bonus will be met so is part of the basic package.

But this is primarirly a British company with a GmbH in Germany (for whom I would be working). I was interviewed by a Brit and an American. So our meanings of salary expectations should have been understood.

They later came back with an offer which consisted of:

1. what they originally offered but
2. after six months raised to my minimum, subject to performance.

I think they have honest intentions but I am worried about the viability of my situation.

Need to sleep on it.

No comments: