A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Refreshing

As well as the interview in Munich last week, I also had an interview in Düsseldorf on Thursday.

The recruiting company actually flew me over there - a day trip for me.

There I had a 90 minute interview where I felt it was clear that I didn't have sufficient relevant industry experience for them.

Then I went into the city's Altstadt and had an excellent but not expensive steak. This is a big deal because Bavarians seem to be genetically incapable of cooking steak - it is always well done. In fact I asked the waitress if she understood my meaning of "medium", which, not coming from Munich, she did.

The next day I advised the agency who had arranged the interview of my feelings.

After my debrief they then told me that the company had already contacted them. Apparently I had interviewed "brilliantly" (it was a tough interview, barely within the Geneva Convention) and they felt I would be "a great fit for their company".

But they also felt I lacked relevant industry experience. Nevertheless they were going to see if they could create a suitable role for me.

Anyway, today the agency called me to advise that they were unable to ... at the moment.

But if things change they will want to talk to me again.

Now, this happens a lot but what really impressed me was the agency. Initially I had applied for a role for which I was, it turned out, totally unsuitable. But they sent my details to their client anyway in case they thought there was some other, more suitable match.

And they were always prompt in sending me information and keeping me up-to-date.

I was so impressed that I sent them a thank you e-mail.





No comments: