A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Freelance or permanent

My ambivalence to how I'm employed, that is as a contractor or a permie, took a hit on Monday.

Extreme pain in the left side of my torso stopped me going into work in the morning. Instead I called for an ambulance.

Turns out I have a kidney stone.

I had to take the rest of the week off work though I am fine (apart from bursts of pain).

A week off work is acceptable, even if I was a contractor and therefore not paid. You should, after all, factor in some sick leave per year into your rate.

But things happen, worse things could happen, and losing the assignment, or even a significant time without income isn't appealing.

I think I will remain only interested in contract assignments if I don't have a permanent job.

No comments: