A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, February 02, 2007

The question

During the interview today the manager asked me what sort of salary I was looking for.

Well, I'm a fan of Guerrilla Marketing for job hunters so I gave the advised reply ("it's the package that's most important", "I'm sure it will be fair" etc).

It turns out this approach doesn't always work.

"That's a very good answer", he said, "but not what I wanted".

"So I didn't get away with it" I said laughing. He agreed and also seemed to find it funny. Which I think was a plus as far as the interview went.

So I gave my ball-park figure, stressed it was a ball-park number, explained my reasoning behind it and he seemed to accept that.

No comments: