A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Photographs

It's been difficult not to read all of You Knit What?

But heck, I'm an ass-kicking IT manager with a job to get. I can't sit around all day reading attitude-laden comments about knit-wear design.

Some months ago a friend arranged for me to meet one of his colleagues who was their recruitment manager. We had a good chat over coffee (her) and hot chocolate (me).

During the conversation I mentioned that I didn't have a photograph for use when sending my c.v. to German recruiters. "Oh", she didn't realise that was the done thing with German applications, and wondered why Germans kept sending her photos of themselves.

Many years ago a friend of mine applied for a job in Berlin. He sent the usual UK-style two-page c.v. He wasn't recruited but was really offended that they returned the c.v. to him.

Years later I realised that German recruiters normally send back c.v.s because they're so expensive to create. Mind you, they normally deal with very high quality affairs with studio-photographs of the candidates.

Today, I updated my details in business networks. I even took a photograph of myself. It needed a bit of cropping and lightening but the software that came with my PC does all that. It's not as good as German c.v.-photos but it's ok.

I updated my details on openBC and LinkIn and invited some people I know to join.

Thanks to anonymous who suggested LastThursday. Not sure how useful it'll be for me. I suspect the other two will provide better networking potential for me.

No comments: