A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Deja-advertised

Over a month ago I went for an interview in Munich. I didn't get the job (or you wouldn't be reading this).

Today I saw the company was still advertising.

Really, by now I would be an expert in the particular skills they were looking for (based around J2EE which I've never touched). OK, maybe not but I would have gained enough knowledge to manage effectively projects in them.

This sounds like a combination of arrogance and naivity, however, I truly believe that it's possible to manage projects (and indeed services) without strong technical skills. You do need to be technically aware. But the real skill is managing the people with the technology, getting them to focus on the required outcome and helping them overcome solutions through facilitation and enablement. In fact, being technically strong may not be an advantage - if you're doing it you're not managing it.

This may sound that as a PM you don't do much - well, you spend a lot of time not doing much.

No comments: