A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Ugh

Yesterday I had a face to face interview. It went ok, probably quite well except that:

  1. As I was about to leave my flat, wearing my fancy tailor made City suit, brogues and silk tie, a migraine started. I rarely get migraines and when I do the symptoms are a problem reading things and a slight wooziness. So I wasn't too affected by it.
  2. When I reached the company's reception I was going to meet the recruitment consultant who would accompany me into the interview (they do this here in Germany). There was a young lady sitting in reception. I said her name and we shook hands. And as per our earlier phone calls we spoke English. But I didn't feel certain and double checked her name. Turns out she wasn't my recruitment consultant. She did rather nicely say that after that whoever she was going to meet would be a disappointment.
  3. Then the real recruitment consultant turned up. It was definitely her. She had received a message that my interviewer would be a few minutes late. And after a few minutes a man turned up. We shook hands and I gave my name. He then started to take us to the cafeteria as he felt it would be a more convenient place for the discussion. Halfway there he took out his business cards and gave them to us. I looked at the name on it and realised he wasn't the person we were due to meet. I did jokingly ask him if he was recruiting. We went back to reception and eventually the correct interviewer turned up.

No comments: