A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Techie

Although I do have a technical background, in recent years I’ve mainly been a man-manager. Sure, I’ve still been able to give some technical advice but I haven’t been a hard-core technologist. Those sorts tend to report to me nowadays.

If you look at my c.v. this should be clear.

But today, when I got through to one agent, she thought my background was too technical.

I was audibly flabbergasted so she qualified her statement in that I seemed too technical for her client.

Maybe using email is too technical for her client, I don’t know.

Anyway, I assured her I can tailor my c.v. to illustrate better my management skills. She liked that and told me a bit about the role.

Including the salary.

Which was ridiculously low.

That’s a relief. It meant I didn’t have to change and resubmit my c.v.

No comments: