A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

More uses of German ... keeping the economy afloat

Although I have a Mac Mini (or is it a Mini Mac?) at home I like to have a laptop to hand.

Having yesterday returned my Surface Pro to work I decided I needed to have my own portable device so today I went and bought .... a Surface Pro 3.

Seriously, I need it.

Although superb devices these aren't the cheapest laptops and at the checkout I found that it exceeded my bank card limit (in Germany you can often make purchases with bank cards which immediately debit your account but being a risk-adverse society the credit limit is quite low).

So I had to cross town to go to my bank, draw out the money then go back to the shop to pick up the device.

And all this: going through the decision making and purchase in the shop, then talking to the bank clerk, was done in my third language*.




*English is my first language. I don't actually have a second language.

No comments: