A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Friday, May 27, 2011

German

I took the B2 "für den Beruf" exam in occupational German in early March.

In early April I got the result. I passed with a score of 80%. Actually 80.25% which is graded as a Note 2 - good. Note 1 - very good is what I achieved for the B1.

According to an owner of a German school I met at the AGBC that means I'm almost fluent.

Fast fließend mein Arsch.

Anyway I put this acheivement down on my c.v.

At the interview in Bonn yesterday I was asked if I would prefer to speak in German or English and a compromise was reached. Introductions in German, then I would speak about myself in English then more in German.

(For the job it is essential to have English only).

But that's the thing: as soon as people switch into English no-one switches back. That is one of the reasons I am not fluent in German yet. One word of English and the die is cast.

Not that I was complaining.

No comments: