A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Curry

The big thing for expats to do in Munich, and not just British expats, is to eat curry.

Mmm, curry.

Reminds them of home, or, if they are not British, someone else's home.

And when I say "them" I mean "me". And my fellow expats, quite a few of whom are American.

So yesterday I had a curry with a couple of friends.

Now Germany has a reputation for efficiency. Unless you live there. Take mobile phones.

Whilst I was waiting for my curry (lamb special) I noticed that I had a voice mail message on my mobile.

It was my boss asking me to call him.

It was 8pm and my boss would only leave a request like that at such a time if it was truly urgent.

I call him.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Um, I was going to ask you that, seeing as you left a message for me to call you".

"I called you in the morning".

Ah, German efficiency at its best.

I explain that I will shortly have my face in a plate of curry and he suggests we talk the next day. No, I will feel less anxious if we talk there and then.

So he tells me that he is leaving the company. For another job but he was basically forced out and got lucky. Also, he is not being replaced but "delayered".

Hmmm.

The boss is an all-round good guy and I am shocked and exasperated. Also, the company isn't doing great (English understatement).

There comes a time when you just know the game is over. For me it was between the poppadoms and the lamb curry.


No comments: