A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Wednesday, July 07, 2004

First step, first problem

So, step one, make sure my old database is up to scratch.

When I was doing IT support at a major accountancy firm they sent us on an MS Access advanced user course.

What they didn't tell us was this was an inducement to stop us all from leaving whilst they were going through an IT outsourcing programme. Their failure to tell us this meant that we all went on as many courses as possible (and that was quite a lot) then left.

In the end they pulled out of the outsourcing deal at the last minute before they signed the contract. But they still had to recruit for the 50% of the IT department who had left.

Whilst I was at the firm I never used the advanced Access skills I had acquired at their expense. Nor have I used it in subsequent employments.

But I have used it to keep track of my job applications. It's very useful in these lean times. Makes sure I know if I've already applied to a company. And it helps me keep a track of applications versus responses. This shows me how well I'm doing.

When I went to open up the database, for the first time in eight months it didn't open up properly. Yikes. Some sort of corruption. Fortunately I occassionally do back ups and managed to restore a working copy. Phew.

No comments: