A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, February 09, 2021

A whole month

 Looking for a job in Germany is harder - normally - than in England especially when:

  • you're British and everyone assumes you'll be thrown out of the country (because of Brexit)
  • you're not fluent in German - this is more of the case now that the world's leading English speaking country has removed itself from being taken seriously (that's a Brexit dig by the way)
  • you seem to be too senior for some roles
  • there's a freakin pandemic which means you ain't up for traveling anywhere - which is a pity as you've angled yourself to be a multi-national, nah, global manager
Anyway today I applied for five jobs which is my target when I'm in Germany for the whole month. In fact I also applied for three on Sunday.

It helps that I can now state that I'm Irish and British (note the order). This is thanks to a grandfather I only met as an infant. I've never been to the Republic of Ireland. Doesn't matter though, just get hold of various birth, death and marriage certificates and Sheamus is your uncle.


No comments: