A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Not sure this is normal

Earlier in the week one of my managers started saying that they found it hard going into work because of the behaviour of our new chief. I tried to calm them down. Later, they were a bit more calmer when they understood that everyone was having problems with this person.

Then, near the end of Friday working day - after beer o'clock - another of my managers asked to see me. They had been approached by HR who wanted a statement about the situation in which they and others have been placed by our wonderful new chief. Seems there's a growing mutiny in the ranks.

The manager was not sure what to do and pointed out that I have much more experience. True but I have never experienced anything like this.

The work we do is rather complicated and requires us to deal with global processes and latest technologies. But instead we are trying to deal with psychological pathologies.

I'll expand on this:  technical stuff is relatively straightforward. So are processes. They are things one engineers.

It's the people aspect where things go wrong - on a good day with the wind in the right direction.

The situation we're in now is, however, in another league.

No comments: