A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

A rare contact

It's been quiet. OK, I've been quiet.

I have been thinking about a new job though, for a few reasons:

  • I'm bored
  • I'm worried about the viability of the company although it is doing better (well, less shockingly bad)
  • I'm worried about the cutbacks they are doing in our IT department. They are closing offices and want to centralise functions in a very boring town.
Here's why I am bored:

I was crafting an email to various people around the world asking if they had done something, and gently advising them that if they hadn't done it things would get nasty for them from the business.

Which is true.

But I crafted it very carefully taking into account the differing cultures who would receive it.

In all, it was a well balanced non-threatening email getting the point across. And it seems to have worked.

Good.

But, that is all I do. Oh, and Powerpoint presentations.

Sure, it is very important to be able to communicate well but I need to start learning again.

On Thursday I received a couple of emails (one via LinkedIn) from a recruiter for a specific client.

My details seemed a good match, he said.

These days I'm working a lot from home so on Friday I called. Then sent him my latest c.v.

Then waited for him to call back.

Then waited a bit more.

Then went to the beer garden.

I will call him on Monday.

No comments: