A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Netverking

So on Thursday I went to the openBC networking event in Munich.

The invitation said that it was dress-down and I consider it good manners to do what's asked on the invitation. Anyway, I can be pretty smart in (some) casual clothes.

Nevertheless, despite the informality it's important to create a good impression. So, I decided not to drink anything.

After about 45 minutes at the event, I hadn't really spoken to anyone.

Eventually I realised the problem. I hadn't had anything to drink.

One bier later and everything improved. I started talking to people, even in German (!) and exchanged cards.

Buoyed by this I had another bier.

Then I made a radical, but sensible move.

I went home.

These days I'm not a big drinker: so it could all have gone terribly wrong.

This afternoon I emailed everyone from whom I had received business cards.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Verk it, baby! I like this tip about speaking better. Beer good.