A diary based on my latest attempts to get a job; this time in Munich. I'm an engineering graduate (and chartered engineer) with more than 10 years' experience in IT. Over five of these years have been spent in team leading and project management roles both in the UK and abroad.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The result

After the interview yesterday I received a phone call today from the agency.

The client really liked me and wanted to offer me the interim job.

Great.

But ...


Apparently they hadn't been told the rate I'd agreed with the agency. There's no way I could go down to the client's rate. It wouldn't be economical.

(I'm not just being uppity about the rates. Because it's only a three-month contract I can't rent a flat [in the UK the minimum rental period, by law, is six months]. So, that means I'd have to stay in a hotel or apart-hotel. And being in the high season they'd now be really costly.)

Either the agency got confused or ...

So, that's annoying. I get offered a job but at a rate which doesn't make it viable. And this was after re-confirming the rate with the agency.

Even more annoying is that it meant I couldn't job trawl yesterday. I caught up this morning but the jobs had gone by this afternoon (and one was right up my street). That's more annoying than the costs to travel up to London.

Grrr.

No comments: